Eating for Better Eye Health - Episode 5
What to put in those lunch boxes? With back-to-school around the corner, Dr. Amanda Steele is here to show you how to make the perfect eye-healthy snack to send your kids to school with throughout the year.
This eye healthy recipe is packed with blueberries which contain many healthy nutrients such as Zinc, Vitamin A, Vitamin C and Vitamin E. All of which maintain eye health and can help prevent many eye disorders. They’re also fun to make and your kids will love being your helper in the kitchen! Don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel where you can watch additional episodes of Not Just Carrots!
BLUEBERRY OATMEAL BREAKFAST BARS:
Serving size: 4
- 2 1/4 c. Old Fashioned oatmeal
- 2 1/4 c. flour
- 1 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1 c. butter (2 sticks)
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 c. fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. corn starch
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl combine the oatmeal, flour, brown sugar, soda and salt.
- Melt the butter and pour over the oatmeal mixture.
- Mix until incorporated and crumbly. Press 2/3 of the oatmeal mixture into a 9x13 pan, saving the other 1/3 for the topping.
- In a separate bowl, combine the blueberries, sugar and corn starch. Mix until the blueberries are evenly coated with the sugar and corn starch. Pour over the bottom crust.
- Crumble the remaining oatmeal mixture over the blueberries. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely before cutting.
WANT MORE EYE HEALTHY RECIPES?
Check out our other Not Just Carrots episodes:
- Episode 1: Creamy Orange Cherry Oatmeal
- Episode 2: Whole Wheat Pasta With Spinach And Gorgonzola
- Episode 3: Seared Tuna With Orange, Avocado and Cilantro Salsa
- Episode 4: Cilantro-Lime Shrimp Foil Packs
- Episode 6: Turkey Burgers
- Episode 7: Apple Sandwiches
- Episode 8: Pineapple Sundaes
- Episode 9: Berry Smoothies
- Episode 10: Berry Strawberry Bark