Eating for Better Eye Health - Episode 3
Omega-3 fatty acids have a fantastic reputation for heart health. But they don’t always receive full credit when it’s due. Studies show that these Omega-3s, like the ones found in tuna, can drastically improve dry eye symptoms--especially dry eye caused by increased blue light exposure from digital devices. So, if you come home from your desk job tired and dry-eyed, this Seared Tuna with Orange, Avocado and Cilantro Salsa is a dinner that’s sure to delight your taste buds while supporting your weary eyes!
MyEyeDr.’s Vice President of Professional Services Dr. Florian Safner and Clinical Field Director Dr. Tracey Glendenning say this meal is rich in vitamin C, vitamin E, and of course, omega-3s. The simple recipe below is quick and easy to follow and there’s also a video if you’d like to follow along! Don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel where you can watch additional episodes of Not Just Carrots!
SEARED TUNA WITH ORANGE, AVOCADO AND CILANTRO SALSA:
Serving size: 4
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 four-ounce tuna steaks (preferably sushi grade)
- 2 1/3 cup red onion, minced
- 2 oranges, peeled with all pith removed, and cubed
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded, and cubed
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- Blend olive oil, garlic, and lemon juice in a shallow pan. Add tuna.
- Turn to coat evenly, cover, and marinate for up to 1 hour.
- In a medium bowl, blend onion, oranges, avocado, cilantro, lime juice, and salt & pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 hour.
- Place steaks in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook 2 minutes per side for medium rare (3 to 4 minutes per side for well done).
- Serve with salsa spooned over the top.
WANT MORE EYE HEALTHY RECIPES?
Check out our other Not Just Carrots episodes:
- Episode 1: Creamy Orange Cherry Oatmeal
- Episode 2: Whole Wheat Pasta With Spinach And Gorgonzola
- Episode 4: Cilantro-Lime Shrimp Foil Packs
- Episode 5: Blueberry Oatmeal Breakfast Bars
- Episode 6: Turkey Burgers
- Episode 7: Apple Sandwiches
- Episode 8: Pineapple Sundaes
- Episode 9: Berry Smoothies
- Episode 10: Berry Strawberry Bark