Eating for Better Eye Health - Episode 2
While carrots are widely known to support healthy vision, did you know there are other foods that provide benefits for your eyes? MyEyeDr.’s Vice President of Professional Services Dr. Florian Safner and Clinical Field Director Dr. Tracey Glendenning share a quick lunch recipe that has maximum benefits for your vision. Rich in lutein, zeaxanthin and zinc, this Whole Wheat Penne with Spinach and Gorgonzola recipe is sure to delight your taste buds while providing essential nutrients to support optimal eye health. The delicious recipe below is quick and easy to follow or watch and follow along in our YouTube video. Don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel where you can watch additional episodes of Not Just Carrots!
WHOLE WHEAT PASTA WITH SPINACH AND GORGONZOLA RECIPE:
Serving size: 6
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 10 oz. uncooked whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 (6-oz.) bag fresh spinach
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2/3 cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- 1/3 cup pine nuts (optional)
- Cook pasta according to package directions, without salting water.
- While pasta is cooking, spray a large, non-stick frying pan with cooking spray.
- Heat over medium-high heat.
- Add onions, then stir and cook until slightly transparent, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, stir and cook for another minute.
- Add broth and let simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, toss, and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add spinach and basil, cook and stir for approximately 2 minutes, or until leaves wilt.
- Remove from heat and add salt/pepper to taste.
- Drain pasta and add to spinach mixture.
- Thoroughly toss.
- Serve on a platter and top with gorgonzola and pine nuts.
WANT MORE EYE HEALTHY RECIPES?
Check out our other Not Just Carrots episodes:
- Episode 1: Creamy Orange Cherry Oatmeal
- Episode 3: Seared Tuna With Orange, Avocado and Cilantro Salsa
- Episode 4: Cilantro-Lime Shrimp Foil Packs
- Episode 5: Blueberry Oatmeal Breakfast Bars
- Episode 6: Turkey Burgers
- Episode 7: Apple Sandwiches
- Episode 8: Pineapple Sundaes
- Episode 9: Berry Smoothies
- Episode 10: Berry Strawberry Bark