Eating for Better Eye Health
Ever wonder what types of food are good for your eyes? There are so many options and they are not just carrots! Many foods have eye healthy vitamins like lutein, vitamin E and vitamin A that provide great vision benefits.
Dr. Florian Safner, MyEyeDr.’s Vice President of Professional Services and Dr. Tracey Glendenning, Clinical Field Director share a quick breakfast recipe with maximum benefits for your vision. This Creamy Orange Cherry Oatmeal recipe is rich in vitamin C, vitamin E, magnesium and zinc providing essential nutrients to support optimal eye health and is sure to delight your taste buds. The simple recipe below is quick and easy to follow and there’s also a video if you’d like to follow along! Don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel where you can watch additional episodes of Not Just Carrots!
CREAMY ORANGE CHERRY OATMEAL RECIPE:
Serving size: 2
- 1 1/2 cups DHA-fortified milk or soymilk, such as Horizon milk w/ DHA or 8th Continent Complete soymilk
- 2/3 cup dried tart cherries
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 2 tablespoons orange juice concentrate
- 1 tablespoon chopped pecans (optional)
Prep and Cooking Instructions:
- In a medium saucepan, heat milk/soymilk and cherries on medium high, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
- When simmering, add oats.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until oats are cooked and liquid is absorbed, approximately 7 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Add OJ concentrate and stir thoroughly.
- Pour into bowls and sprinkle with nuts if desired.
- Maximize the vitamin C content by adding the OJ at the very end, after cooking. This oatmeal is so sweet, you won’t even need sugar!
WANT MORE EYE HEALTHY RECIPES?
Check out our other Not Just Carrots episodes:
- Episode 2: Whole Wheat Pasta With Spinach And Gorgonzola
- Episode 3: Seared Tuna With Orange, Avocado and Cilantro Salsa
- Episode 4: Cilantro-Lime Shrimp Foil Packs
- Episode 5: Blueberry Oatmeal Breakfast Bars
- Episode 6: Turkey Burgers
- Episode 7: Apple Sandwiches
- Episode 8: Pineapple Sundaes
- Episode 9: Berry Smoothies
- Episode 10: Berry Strawberry Bark